ANSWERING CONCEALED CARRY RECIPROCITY CRITICS . . . With U.S. House of Representatives passage of H.R. 38, action on the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 moves to the Senate, but along the way, critics are continuing to make misleading statements and to scaremonger. NSSF’s Larry Keane cuts through the noise regarding what the legislation will and won’t do.
U.S. HOUSE VOTES TO END ‘OPERATION CHOKE POINT’ . . . Following passage of H.R. 2706, NSSF praised U.S. Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-Mo.) for his leadership to end “Operation Choke Point,” an Obama administration effort to use regulatory guidance to encourage lenders to deny financial services to “high-risk” businesses, including those in firearms-related operations.
HENRY RIFLE TO BENEFIT PROJECT CHILDSAFE . . . The auction of a stunning, hand-engraved 20th Anniversary Edition Henry Big Boy .44 magnum lever-action rifle will benefit the Project ChildSafe Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit charity, and NSSF’s Project ChildSafe program. Henry Repeating Arms “20HENRY013” is scheduled for auction on GunBroker.com Dec. 24- Jan. 7.
SHOT SHOW NEWS
- Lt. Col. Allen B. West teaches organizations how to apply the principles of military training to the business world and ensure success in today’s markets at the Executive Management Seminar. Seats are limited, register today.
- Make the most of your time at SHOT Show with advice from Watson Chambers Defense Institute, a firearms training and retail store serving customers with the latest and greatest products.
- American manufacturers of firearms, ammunition and related accessories that are looking to expand their opportunities in foreign markets are faced with numerous challenges. The process can be intimidating — but it can also reap profits.
- Are you seeking to expand licensing under National Firearms Act (NFA) regulations? This niche can deliver relatively high margins while providing a way to differentiate your store in a crowded retail environment.
- Buyer and media badges are mailing now. Exhibitor badges will be mailed during the first week in January. We’ve implemented a new self-service feature that allows you to instantly ascertain the status of your badge.
- Today’s FFL customers want much more than just a place to buy some ammo and shoot the breeze. Learn how to give them the experience they want with a staff your competition will envy at SHOT Show University!
- If you’re hedging a bet you can book a room at a great rate near the Sands the week before the show, your chances of winning the next Powerball are probably higher. NSSF offers discounts through onPeak. See what’s still available.
- Join the conversation on 2018 SHOT Show events, exhibits and news and connect with other showgoers on the SHOT Show LinkedIn page.
- Visit shotshow.org for more SHOT Show news.
More NSSF News
- Sixteen senior military officers wrote Congress on behalf of the Giffords Veteran Coalition to assist political efforts to further restrict the right to keep and bear arms. Read NSSF Public Affairs Manager Mark Oliva’s blog post.
- California gun owners are confused as a raft of new restrictions are set to take effect starting in January 2018.
- A Washington State county commission meeting over shooting range complaints highlights why NSSF is working to advance the Hearing Protection Act, H.R. 367, in the U.S. House and S. 59 in the U.S. Senate.
- SHOT Week’s Retailer Seminars offer advice from top-level speakers who can pass on their subject-matter expertise to retailers and range owners. See this year’s seminar lineup here!
- This time of year, thieves understand the same things your customers do: Your store is full of cool, new and expensive inventory! This is especially true during the winter holiday season, so safeguard against burglaries.
- West Coast Armory has been awarded NSSF’s top Five-Star rating and continues to improve its overall business performance and management practices while providing first-class services to enhance the customer and member experience.
- NSSF’s “From the Counter” identifies and highlights innovative marketing strategies to help retailers compete more successfully. This month Sidney’s, an independent retailer in the Deep South, is profiled.
- ATF Q&A: More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question asks, “Can the compliance inspecting officer physically take all of the dealer’s Forms 4473 back to their office for further review?”
- Retired Army Lt. Col. Lones W. Wigger, a four-time Olympian and the most decorated shooter in the world, passed away Dec. 14, age 80, in Colorado Springs. Wigger won two Olympic gold medals and set 29 world records.
- NSSF Senior Vice President and CMO Chris Dolnack has been named to the International Association of Exhibitions and Events’ 2018 Advocacy Committee. IAEE is the leading association for the global exhibition industry.
- Shooting clubs are popping up all over rural Rhode Island. Who goes there? Here’s a look at their customer base and differing perspectives from locals.
- Recent fires in the Los Angeles-area ravaged at least two shooting ranges to the point where nearly all structures burned to the ground.
- Six-time Olympic medalist Kim Rhode and three-time Olympian Keith Sanderson were named as USA Shooting’s 2017 Female and Male Athletes of the Year.
- The holidays are just around the corner. As hunters, shooters and collectors it’s a natural instinct to want to share our enjoyment of firearms with others. What better way to do that than to make a gift of a firearm?
- As you continue your online shopping this holiday season, remember to use AmazonSmile and choose Project ChildSafe, Inc., as your preferred charity to help support the efforts of NSSF’s program to promote safe firearms storage practices.