THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT URGES SCOTUS TO OVERTURN NY GUN LAW … The Justice Department filed an amicus brief with the U.S. Supreme Court urging the justices to overturn New York City’s law in the pending New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. City of New York. This law bars gun owners from taking a gun to a range in a neighboring county or a second home to participate in recreational target practice or self-defense outside of the city.
NSSF®, VA FURTHER SUICIDE PREVENTION EFFORTS … While speaking at the Governor’s Challenge Academy, NSSF CEO Steve Sanetti described NSSF’s ongoing suicide prevention efforts within the firearms-owning communities, as well as its recent collaboration with the Veterans Administration’s program to foster statewide partnerships across the country to help prevent suicides among veterans and their families, and promote safe firearms storage when not in use.
INDUSTRY SUMMIT: MAKING DECISIONS … Making the right decision at any given juncture is, of course, critical to the success of your business — but how do you go about discovering which decisions are right? At the 2019 NSSF Industry Summit, Michael Veltri shares why the most talented executives today have decision-making infrastructure in place that’s designed not only to avoid wrong decisions, but to ensure that the right decisions produce exceptional outcomes. Register Today.
PROJECT CHILDSAFE® SHARES SAFETY MESSAGE … Project ChildSafe’s approach to genuine firearms safety through education and distribution of gun locks was met with interest and appreciation from attendees this weekend at the USCCA’s Concealed Carry Expo in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The program engages with communities all across the country to promote safe and responsible gun ownership. Learn more at ProjectChildSafe.org.
More NSSF News –
- NSSF joined 30 bipartisan members of the Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus for the annual Congressional Clays Competition, a day of trap, skeet, and sporting clays.
- Congressman Joe Morelle (D-N.Y.) introduced H.R. 2674, the Gun Theft Protection Act, which would require firearms retailers to meet national storage standards and hold retailers liable for crimes committed with firearms stolen from their locations.
- California’s ban on traditional ammunition will take full effect July 1 for hunting all wildlife species and “in any gauge or caliber for the take of any legal species,” according to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW).
- The Vermont House passed S.169, which would establish a 24-hour waiting period for the purchase of handguns.
- “Pile it high and let it fly” may not be the best way to manage your inventory. Learn new techniques to leverage your inventory for profit in today’s ever-changing retail landscape.
- Business leaders must strive for continuous improvement. Use these techniques to create and implement unique processes that foster employee and company growth.
- Are you considering establishing a new shooting range? NSSF’s Range-Retailer Business Expo will provide a clear outline of the major steps and obstacles you will have to navigate while in the developmental process.
- ATF Q&A: More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF Member Compliance Hotline last week. One question asks, “Does ATF consider a family member picking up a pawned firearm for another family member a straw purchase?”
- A new NSSF research report has been posted to the NSSF online member portal. The study entitled, “Consumer Knife Market Report,” profiles hunting and sporting knife owners both demographically and behaviorally to assist the industry in better serving this segment. The report is free to NSSF members.
- February 2018 U.S. import and export totals for several sporting arms, ammunition and optics categories are now available. Log in and select the Industry Research link to see a breakdown of the 2019 data compared to that of 2018.
- The White House has launched a webpage for reporting political bias by social media platforms. NSSF encourages businesses in the industry that may have experienced unwarranted censorship on social media platforms to utilize this new tool.
- NSSF’s Project ChildSafe program was part of Hartford (Conn.) Hospital’s Trauma Awareness Day, providing its firearms safety kits that include a gun lock with the “Own It? Respect It. Secure It.® ” logo.
- Former U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens is again calling the landmark Heller decision the worst in his tenure. It’s not the decision with which he’s struggling. It’s the Second Amendment.
- Have you ever wondered why you can use ammunition from any manufacturer in any firearm in the same caliber? It’s due to how ammunition is standardized by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI).
- 2019 marks the 120th anniversary of the Amateur Trapshooting Association Grand American World Trapshooting Championships. The tournament will be contested at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex July 31 – Aug.10.
- Employees and qualifying family members of companies that support NSSF at the highest level can apply for education aid through the NSSF Patron Member (formerly Voting Member) Scholarship Program.
The post Bullet Points – Weekly Firearms Industry Newsletter – 05252019 appeared first on OutDoors Unlimited Media and Magazine.