The Austrian suffered an injury to his right hand and needs time to recover. By Chris Oddo | @TheFanChild | Thursday February 3, 2022
Dominic Thiem has backed out of the ATP’s Golden Swing and won’t begin his comeback until Indian Wells. The 28-year-old former World No.3 was planning to start his season this week at the Cordoba Open in Argentina, but had to pull out due to a hand injury.
Thiem was scheduled to play the Argentina Open, the Rio Open and the Chile Open over the next few weeks.
According to Austrian media, Thiem has pulled the plug on those plans and plans to practice in Miami to get ready for Indian Wells.
“Training was going well in Vienna and I am so happy that I’ve made a full recovery regarding my wrist. Unfortunately, I have suffered this minor setback in Santiago, which has forced me to temporarily stop training,” Thiem said.
BREAKING NEWS: Dominic Thiem has also withdrawn from the Argentina Open, Rio Open and Chile Open. He will look to make his comeback to competition at Indian Wells in March.
— Nikolaus Fink (@NikolausFink) February 3, 2022
Thiem hasn’t reinjured the wrist, but instead suffered an injury to his right hand. He was seen wearing a splint recently.
"In the last days, I suffered a minor injury between my knuckles, a little strain of my ligament,” the 2020 US Open champion said earlier this week. “The positive thing is the wrist is perfectly fine, but I'm suffering pain in my hand and also lacking practice, so I have to pull out. I'm very sad, but I'm going to come back once I'm 100 per cent fit, and thank you so much for the great and warm welcome I had here in Cordoba."