The Sigma 20mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary for L-Mount and Sony E-mount cameras is the seventh lens in the company’s I series of compact primes. The new lens is the widest currently offered in the series, and one of four with a fast ƒ/2 maximum aperture, along with the 24mm F2 DG DN | C, 35mm F2 DG DN | C and 65mm F2 DG DN | C.
Sigma I Series lenses feature all-metal bodies and hoods, with manual aperture rings on the barrels. The Sigma 20mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary also has an “arc-type” AF/manual focus switch and a magnetic lens cap. The lens can focus as close as 8.7 inches.
Availability is expected on February 25 with a list price of $699. For more information, see the press release below.
SIGMA 20mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary
In the era of mirrorless cameras, the balance between performance and size is even more crucial. There is a growing demand for “compact, high-performance, high-quality lenses” and SIGMA responds to this call with the “I” series of full-frame, mirrorless exclusive lenses.
Available for L-Mount and Sony E-mount, DG indicates full-frame sensor coverage, and DN indicates mirrorless-exclusive design.
The I Series are Premium Compact Primes that are stylish in appearance, with impressive specifications and optical performance. The SIGMA 20mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary is the seventh I series lens to be released.
20mm is a very popular ultra wide-angle focal length, and this new lens is the widest in the I series released to date. Equipped with a metal, knurled, petal-type lens hood, this ultra-wide prime is compatible with 62mm threaded front filters.
The new 20mm F2 DG DN | C is an addition to the fast F2 aperture group of I series lenses alongside the 24mm F2 DG DN | C, 35mm F2 DG DN | C, and 65mm F2 DG DN | C.
The L-mount version of the 20mm F2 DG DN | C introduces a Linear/Non-Linear manual focus operation. The option may become available for certain other I series lenses in L-mount only at a later date via firmware updates.
All F2 I series lenses feature a distinctive arc-type AF/MF switch and stylized barrel design near the “Made in Japan” marking.
The fast F2 maximum aperture and total optical performance makes this a natural choice for astrophotography, along with landscapes, cityscapes, street photography, low-light interiors and other night-time situations. Due to its wide focal length and compact size, this 20mm lens is an ideal choice for handheld vlogging and video streaming. And the ability to mount front filters, such as neutral density filters, for video and long-exposure landscapes on such a fast-aperture ultra-wide will be appreciated by many content creators.
The F2 maximum aperture and overall optical design also delivers pleasing bokeh at the widest F-stops. The 20mm F2, 24mm F2, 35mm F2, and 65mm F2 prime combination offers a consistent fast aperture at four classic cine and still focal lengths.
- All I Series lenses feature an all-metal body, with high-precision metal internal parts, and a metal hood.
- All I Series lenses feature a manual aperture ring and knurled surfaces for an enjoyable tactile experience.
- The F2 I series lenses have comparable MTF chart optical performance to SIGMA DSLR F1.4 Art lenses
- The L-mount version of the new 20mm F2 DG DN | C introduces a Linear/Non-Linear manual focus operation. The option may become available for certain other I series lenses in L-mount only at a later date via firmware updates.
- The new 20mm F2 DG DN | C features the signature arc-type auto/manual focus switch, a dust and splash-resistant mount, a knurled lens hood, and magnetic lens caps, as do the 24mm F2 DG DN | C, 35mm F2, and 65mm F2.
- The 24mm F3.5 shares a 55mm filter thread diameter with the 45mm F2.8 DG DN C and the 90mm F2.8 DG DN C, which makes for a very compact system that can accept the same filters and lens caps*, perfect for travel, adventure, etc. where compactness and versatility really matter. *45mm is not compatible with the metallic magnetic caps.
- An optional magnetic cap holder (CH-11) features a mini-carabiner for clipping to a bag, jacket or belt loop, and has a donut-style center hole to easily remove the cap when it is time to place back on the lens.
- The currently released I series lenses are in the Contemporary line, however there may be potential for Art and Sports lenses to be similarly constructed.
- The I series designation / nickname represents the build characteristics and styling of these new lenses. It is not a product line alongside Art, Sports and Contemporary.
- Please also read the full worldwide press release which is included in this information packet for additional technical specifications and product details for the new lens.
- Operational Note: Please ensure in-camera optical correction is [ON].
- Operational Note: Please set the electronic front curtain shutter to “OFF” before shooting.
SIGMA 20mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary Specifications:
|Lens Construction:||13 elements in 11 groups, with 1 FLD, 1 SLD and 3 aspherical elements|
|Angle of View:||94.5° (Full Frame) / 70.7° (APS-C)|
|Diaphragm Blades:||9, rounded|
|Autofocus Actuator:||STM (stepping motor)|
|Minimum Focus Distance:||8.7 in. (22cm)|
|Max. Magnification Ratio:||1:6.7|
|Dimensions:||L-Mount: 2.8 x 2.9 in. (70 x 72.4mm)
E-Mount: 2.8 x 2.9 in. (70 x 74.4mm)
|Weight:||13.1 oz. (370g)|